1 an elected member of the British Parliament: a member of the House of Commons [syn: Member of Parliament]
2 an expert in parliamentary rules and procedures
- A person well-versed in parliamentary procedure.
- An officer in most legislative bodies charged with being well-versed in the parliamentary rules of that legislative house, and whose rulings are taken as authoritative, to be appealed only to the whole of the house itself under special rules.
Parliamentarian can refer to a member or supporter of a Parliament, as in:
Parliamentarian can also refer to an expert adviser on parliamentary procedure, as in:
- Parliamentarian (consultant) - An officer or outside consultant designated by an organization to serve as an expert in parliamentary procedure
- Parliamentarian of the United States House of Representatives
- Parliamentarian of the United States Senate
- A member of the National Association of Parliamentarians
- A member of the American Institute of Parliamentarians
- An official of the National Forensic League, who regulates a chamber of Student Congress